Sunday, August 19, 2007

Watermelon Salsa:

This recipe is from the magazine called "Healthy Living" published by Register-Guard newspaper. The article begins like this - "Mixing onions and watermelons?.....It sounds...bizarre....."
It concludes that guaranteed I'll like it. So, I went ahead with a minor change. I'll post the original recipe and my version. The salsa was really really delicious. It was hot and sweet and out of this world.

Original recipe:
Watermelon - 2 cups chopped (seeds removed)

Walla Walla Sweet Onion - 3/4 cup chopped
Canned black beans, rinsed and drained - 3/4 cup

Jalapeno chilies - 1/4 cup chopped, seeded

Fresh Cilantro - 1/4 cup chopped
Brown sugar - 1 tbspn
Salt - 1/2 tspn

Stir together all the ingredients in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour to blend flavors. Stir before serving. Makes 6 servings. Serve with corn or tortilla chips.

Recipe courtesy of the Walla Walla Sweet Onion Marketing Committee.




My Version:

I mixed watermelon, red onions, green chillies, cilantro and salt.

So go ahead and give it a try, I'm sure you'll like it.

2 comments:

Sharmi said...

very refreshing Salsa. new and nice no need of any chips.

Suganya said...

Hi Shri:
This Salsa is so cool...Nice idea..