Clams are very good source of Iron and a bowl of this soup is a hearty meal on its own. If you like crab, then give it a try.
Clams - 1 can - minced (I used baby clams)
Potato -1 big - peeled and cubed
Onion - 1 -cut
AP flour - 3 tbspns
Milk - 1/2 cup
Heavy cream - 1/4 cup
- Open the can, drain all the liquid into a seperate bowl and reserve and wash the clams and keep aside.
- Heat a deep bottomed pan. Add 1 tbspn butter, 1 tspn oil and saute the onion and potato for 3 or 4 minutes. Add the reserved liquid, salt and pepper and keep a lid and cook until potatoes are tender.
- Mix the flour with milk and make sure there are no lumps.
- Once potatoes are cooked, add the milk, heavy cream and the clams.
- Let the chowder thicken and start to boil - it should take about 4 to 5 minutes. Done.
- Serve piping hot with some warm garlic bread or french bread.