Thursday, March 22, 2007



Vermicelli kheer / Semiya payasam:

The ultimate and the easiest sweet on the face of this earth! At any day, I would choose this for any other dessert. This is the first sweet I ever learned to make. I make it whenever I feel like having it.
One thing though - I'm not sure of the exact measurements of milk and sugar or condensed milk. I just add it accordingly - as per my taste.


Required Ingredients:

Vermicelli (I use the thin one) - 1 cup (broken into 1 inch pieces)
Whole Milk - 1 cup
Sweetened Condensed Milk - 2 or 3 tbspn (as per your wish)
Or
Sugar - 3 or 4 tbspn (add as per your preference)
Cashews
Elaichi - skin removed and powdered


  • Heat a thick bottomed vessel, add little butter or ghee and add vermicelli and fry till light brown.
  • Remove and keep it aside on a plate. To the same vessel, add milk and let it come to a boil.
  • Then add the fried vermicelli and reduce the flame to medium low and let the vermicelli cook. Meanwhile, powder some elaichi. Keep mixing the milk and vermicelli now and then. If it becomes thick, add milk accordingly.
  • Once vermicelli is soft and cooked, add the condensed milk or sugar and mix well and let it boil for another 4 or 5 minutes Add elaichi powder and mix and remove from stove.
  • In a small pan, add some ghee or butter, add cashews and fry till golden brown and add it to the kheer. Serve warm or cold.
I always like to add some fresh elaichi powder just before serving it warm.


No comments: