Friday, October 12, 2007



Adai:


This recipe comes from a dear friend of mine, Savitha. I have never made adai. When I told her this, she was surprised and immediately asked me to try it. She told me the recipe and very patiently answered my questions. I set out to try it. I just made a little change to her recipe by adding urad dal.
Just before I was about to start making adais, she called me to tell me not to be intimidated because the adais are going to be bit thicker than our usual dosas and they take some time to cook. It was very sweet and considerate of her. Thank you Savitha. So, here it goes:

Ingredients:

Raw rice - 1 cup
Toor dal - 1/4 cup
Whole Moong dal - 1/4 cup
Urad dal - 1/4 cup
Red chillies - 10 to 12
Onions - 1/2 cup
Curry leaves
Asafoetida


Method:

Soak rice and the dals together for 4 to 5 hours. Grind them along with red chillies and salt. Add onions, curry leaves, sprinkle little asafoetida and mix well. Heat a dosa pan, when it medium hot, pour a ladle full of batter and spread it slighty. Add some oil around the adai and let it cook. Once the edges start to lift off from, flip the adai and cook the other side. Serve hot!



I served it with idli/dosa podi. I usually heat some sesame oil and add chopped garlic and fry till light brown and then add it to the podi. My husband likes it that way.

2 comments:

Finla said...

I always stick to dosa, never have made adai.
This looks really delicious.

Sharmi said...

my grandmom used to make adai, after that we didnt get a chance to eat or make. yours looks nice!