Monday, July 23, 2007

Coconut Milk Pulav:



This is one of my favourite dish and it is the best match for any spicy chicken curry.

Ingredients:

Basmati rice - 1 cup
Coconut Milk - 1 cup
Onions - 1 - cut into thin long slices
Green chillies - 3
Ginger Garlic paste - 1 tspn
Cloves - 4
Cinnamon - 1 stick
Bay leaf - 1
Salt
Carrots, Peas, Beans - chopped - 1/2 cup (Optional)
Mint, cilantro - chopped - 2 tbspns

Procedure:

Wash the rice and soak it in water for 10 minutes. Heat a pressure pan, add 2 tbspns of oil and 1 tbspn butter. Once it is hot, add cloves, cinnamon, bay leaf. Add sliced onions, chillies, ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell goes. Add mint, cilantro leaves and fry for few more minutes. Add veggies (if using) and fry. Mix 1 cup coconut milk with 3/4th cup of water and add it to the pan. Add salt and let it come to a boil. Now add the rice and stir and close the lid. Close the lid and pressure cook for 10 minutes on medium flame and for 5 minutes on low flame.

You could cook this in a rice cooker too.

7 comments:

Sharmi said...

hi I wanted to try this out. did you use home made coconut milk or store bought? the pulao looks great!! sorry for missing out so many lovely posts of yours. been very irregular.

Tee said...

I have never tried coconut milk in Pulav...must be tasting really good!
Your pulav looks awesome!

Almond Bread Company said...

Hi Sharmi,

I used store-bought. It is very difficult to take milk out of the coconuts which we get here. They are too oily. In India, my mom makes it at home.

Almond Bread Company said...

Tee,

Thanks for your comments. Pls. do try it out and let me know.

Laavanya said...

I love this. My mom used to make this and now I do too though I use a recipe for Kuska from Mrs. Mano. Will post it soon. Yours looks so good.

Almond Bread Company said...

Laavanya,

I'm waiting to see ur post.
Thanks for ur comments buddy.

Suganya said...

I love using coconut milk to pulao. Imparts such a wonderful, rich taste.