You will need the following ingredients:
Basmati rice - 1 cup
Onions - 1 ( cut into thin long slices)
Tomatoes - big - 3 or 4 - you would need about - 1 1/2 cups of puree
(Or you could use Tomato sauce - 1 1/4 cups - just add 1/4 cup water)
Green chilli - 1 (cut into long strips)
Cilantro and Mint leaves - 1/2 cup
Ginger Garlic paste - 1 tbspn
Peas - 1/4 cup
Turmeric - a pinch
Chilli powder - 1 tspn
Garam masala powder - 1/2 tspn
Cloves - 5
Cinnamom - 1 stick
Bay leaf - 1
Cumin seeds - 1 tspn
Cashews - 10 (fried to golden brown)
Scallions, Cilantro - for garnish
- Wash and soak basmati rice for 10 minutes. Heat a pressure cooker, add 1 tbspn butter/ghee, 3 tbspns oil. When the oil gets hot, add, bayleaf, cinnamon stick, cloves, cumin seeds and fry.
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry for 1 minute. Add onions, green chilli and fry well for 4 mins.
- Now add cilantro and mint leaves and fry for a minute.
- Add turmeric, chilli powder, garam masala, peas. Mix well and let it cook for about a minute. Now add tomato puree and salt and mix well and lightly close the lid and let the whole mixture start to boil.
- Check for spiciness and salt and add if necessary. Now add the soaked rice and mix gently. Close the lid and pressure cook for 10 minutes on medium flame and for 5 minutes on low flame.
- Garnish with scallions, fried cashews, cilantro. Serve with raita of your choice. Enjoy!
This is my entry for Jihva for Tomatoes hosted by RP of MyWorkshop